Walnuts are round, single-seeded stone fruits that grow from the walnut tree. The scientific name for the African Walnut is Coula edulis.
In Nigeria, it is called by various local names:
Asala or Awusa (in Yoruba)
Udo or Ukpa (in Igbo)
Ekom (in Ibibio and Efik)
Okhue or Okwe (in Bini)
SOME HEALTH BENEFITS OF AFRICAN WALNUTS
1. Good for the heart (because of its L-arginine content).
2. Promotes weight loss.
3. Regulates hormone levels (due to its high omega 3 Fatty acid content).
4. Reduces menstrual cramps.
5. Boosts the immune system (because of its high antioxidant and iron content).
6. Promotes good sleep (because it increases melatonin in the body).
7. Reduces risk of type 2 diabetes.
8. Aids proper brain function and improves cognitive ability (because of its ample vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine content).
9. Reduces risk of Prostate Cancer.
10. Reduces risk of Breast Cancer.
A good goal is to take about 7 to 10 African walnuts each day.
Leave a Reply